About the Junk Food Guy, what this blog is, and what it isn’t.
February 9, 2015:
Well, hello there, Junk Food Nation! It’s me, Eric, your friendly neighborhood Junk Food Guy. I read over the “About Me” section I wrote almost four years ago, and figured I’d give it a quick update. The rest of it is still all true.
1) Ok, so I’ve reviewed a FEW foreign snacks. But for the most part, I’m still dealing primarily with US-only junk food. But how can I resist Doritos from another country? The answer: I CAN’T.
2) Daily posts have become more Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I’m sure that my readers have noticed that I’ve dropped to three days a week recently. Yes, that is a conscious decision and not just because I’m lazy. Or maybe it’s a conscious decision BECAUSE I’m lazy. Whatever – 3x a week for now, folks. Might go back to daily in the near future.
3) Still no restaurant blogging, although if you check out my Instagram account, you’ll likely see pics of all the joints I’m chowing at. Because you’re all voyeurs, deep down.
4) Still picture heavy. Like I said before – I want to walk you throw each junk food as if you’re hanging onto the package yourself.
So there you go – keep reading below to see my original “About Me” text (maybe you should’ve read that first, actually). Hope everyone’s fingers are cheesy out there!
June 6, 2011:
Welcome welcome welcome to Junkfoodguy.com! (I think that’s one too many welcomes.) I’m always unsure what people expect to find in these “About Me” pages. Usually its some awkward profile picture of the blog author with someone cut out of the frame even though you can still see the arm around the author’s shoulder. That’s followed either by a long description of the author’s history/resume/CV, or by a block of text meant to be sarcastic and smug. Like this block of text.
I’m just a normal guy from Upstate New York who happens to like junk food. I’m not big, I’m not tiny, I’m neither overweight nor ripped. I work out, I give blood, and my BP is usually a normal 120/80. I just happen to really really like junk food.
Look, I get it. Junk food is not good for you by definition. And yes, I LOVE regular food too. I like tofu. I like salads. I’ll destroy some grilled tilapia.
I just also like Oreos. And tater tots. And spray cheese.
So let’s talk about what you will and will not see in this blog. I’ve been around the blogosphere, and you will not see four distinct fails that other junk food blogs have had:
1) Not in the US. Some of the most consistent junk food blogs I’ve seen have originated in China or the Philippines. Um, I’m pretty sure I can’t get a Bojangles biscuit in Mongolia. This blog is all-American, straight from your nation’s capital.
2) Inconsistent, or lack of, posts. I write about a new junk food item every. Single. Day. Yes, that’s right. Yup.
3) Evolution into a restaurant blog. What begins as a discussion about Ben and Jerry’s turns into a posting about a new sushi restaurant. Unless that sushi has gumdrops in it, it ain’t junk food. Restaurant fare is reviewed sparingly here.
4) Too much text, not enough pictures. Look, no one wants to read eight paragraphs about junk food, hearing me describe what it tastes like, etc. And I’m certainly not that interesting. Hell, I’m surprised this “About” section has even made it this far. Junkfoodguy.com tries to be as experiential as possible – I walk you through the food, bite by bite, photo by photo.
Finally, what is considered junk food?
Here’s the thing: I understand some companies don’t want their products dubbed “junk food.” But understand this – I mean the term lovingly. Candy, chips, crackers, frozen food products, desserts, sodas, sauces, etc. – all junk food. Ramen noodles, microwave burritos, dried meat products, flavored nuts – junk food. There are some grey areas. Italian Wedding soup – of course, no. Bacon cheeseburger soup? BINGO.
So there you have it. This blog gives you a best-effort daily snapshot of all the junk food that exists in this world. Search the site for something you’ve been looking for, or read what I’ve been eating recently. I’m just a normal guy with a big appetite. Hope you enjoy!
Junk Food Guy