Review: New Nabisco Good Thins, The Beet One (Balsamic Vinegar & Sea Salt) & Better Late Than Never: Challenge Me, the JFG, In A March Madness Pool!
JFG Nation, I have to admit – part of the reason I’ve been so MIA is because of college basketball. Yes, I’ve been adulting hard, doing my taxes, preparing a move, swamped at work. When I’ve returned home each day, I’ve been exhausted. I chose to wrap myself in a cocoon of squeaking sneakers and buzzer beater 3s. I’ve been watching every single Conference Tournament game possible. MARCH IS HERE. YOU COULDN’T BEAT KENT STATE, AKRON?? WHAT THE HELL, MAN.
Selection Sunday was yesterday, so MARCH MADNESS BRACKETS ARE HERE. IT’S HAPPENING, PEOPLE. Get on board. Fill out those brackets by deciding which school color you like better, or which mascot you think it tougher. Whatever it is, JOIN US.
And, to that end, JOIN ME….it’s the Annual JFG Nation March Madness pool! I know it’s a little late, but whatever. It’s open to the public; you all can join and try to beat ME (and each other) for bragging rights. Which one of you junk food crazies is the most knowledgeable college basketball JunkFoodGuy.com reader out there?
AND, to make it more interesting – I’ll throw in a prize. Whoever wins the entire bracket, gets the most points in the pool, takes home the whole enchilada, etc. will get a prize mailed from me to you. I don’t know what the prize is yet. But I promise it’ll be good.
Sound good? Good.
Here are the details:
1. To join The JFG Nation Pool, click here. The pool ID# is 95312.
2. Create your bracket entry.
3. DON’T FORGET TO MAKE YOUR PICKS before the tournament gets rolling. Per the Yahoo rules, “You have until sometime prior to the published tip-off time of the first 2016 Tournament game on Thursday, March 16, 2016 (the “Entry Deadline”) to create your Entry Bracket(s), complete your Picks…” So there you go.
4. JFG RULE: Whoever wins, you HAVE to email me at [email protected] Everyone uses fake email addresses on Yahoo or they just hide their email address entirely, so I’m not gonna go hunting you down. You were the genius who picked UNC Wilmington to go all the way and they did? You are therefore smart enough to email me.
5. JFG RULE: If you’re a frequent Tweet-er, commenter, etc., try to make your entry name something I would recognize – your Twitter handle, or the nickname you use for commenting. Or make your bracket name your favorite junk food and city you’re in. “Washington Peeps Oreo!” Give me a chuckle…
6. JFG RULE: US ONLY. Yeah, I know – I’m pulling this move again. Sorry Canada peeps, UK-ers, etc. But (1) you probably couldn’t care less about March Madness and (2) if I’m mailing you a swag bag bundle of amazing, I’m not paying international rates.
7. ONE LAST RULE: I may amend something here or there in case I forgot anything. I reserve the right to do whatever the heck I want!
So we good? GO NOW AND SIGN UP. Two years ago, I came in 5th because Wisconsin lost. Last year, I came in 6th. NO LONGER. I’M READY TO DOMINATE. I’m already in the pool, people-who-will-soon-be-losing-to-me. JOIN JOIN JOIN.
Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Today’s junk food: New Nabisco Good Thins, The Beet One (Balsamic Vinegar & Sea Salt)!!
Good Thins! Aka, Nabisco’s healthy version of Wheat Thins, which already aren’t horrible for you. Some of the Good thin varietys have been hit or miss – I like the Rice Thins, I know the veggie ones have been meh, and the potato based Good Thins have been well received. But Beet Thins? I like beets but many people I know don’t. At all. So…yea.
DO THESE TASTE GOOD? Yes. Not emphatic, but yes.
WHY OR WHY NOT? Because these don’t really taste like beets. Or balsamic for that matter. Beet powder is the second ingredient to potato, so these basically taste like the potato based Good Thins I was describing before. Ignoring the bizarre look (the grayish powder was offputting) and the deep red hue, I could’ve mistaken these for potato Thins if my eyes were closed.
I do get a hint of balsamic at the front end of the chew but it’s REALLY faint. The earthy taste of beets is PRETTY faint too – I only recognize it because it keeps the taste from being a PURE potato flavor, but make no mistake – potato is the main flavor.
ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW? Very odd powder distribution but I promise you – these were fresh.
PURCHASED AT: Wegmans, Germantown, MD.
WHERE FOUND IN STORE? Cracker aisle endcap.
COST? $3 on sale.