Review: New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers & What Else Can Cheez-It Do?

JFG Nation, today I’m reviewing these new Cheez-It Sandwich Crackers. Over the years Cheez-It has tried different SKUs with varying success – first it trotted out all the various cheese varieties. Then came the oversized BIG Cheez-Its and mini Cheez-Its. Next, the ultra crispy Grooves (love them), the extra powdered Zingz (JFGal approved), the Cheeto-like Crunch’d (flop city). And now Sandwich Crackers. The question remains: what’s next?

Cheez-It isn’t like Oreo, where it can vary it up with other dessert flavors or cremes. It’s also not like Pringles where they can just readily tackle other savory Flavors. Cheez-It ultimately still needs cheese as one of its major flavors. In that sense, Cheez-It could easily reproduce itself in the other familiar and already saturated snack areas – Cheez-It tortilla chips, popped chips, etc. but those will probably go the way of the Crunch’d: disappointing and not better than their nearest more-established competitor.

So where do YOU think Cheez-It should go next? Melba toasts? Larger-matzah shaped crisps? How about Cheez-It cheese bread? Or oven biscuits? Give me your suggestions in the comments below.

Today’s junk food: New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers!!

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers: The Money Shot

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers: The Money Shot

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers come in six-packs just like your classic sandwich crackers you grew up with from Lance. Besides the Classic Cheddar, they also come in Italian and Spicy Queso flavor.

cheezitcheddarsand-02

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers are apparently produced with genetic engineering. Huh. So I guess if you eat these, you become a Cheez-It? I mean, my nails would taste waaaay better.

cheezitcheddarsand-03

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers look a LOT like your classic Lance sandwich cracker….just more orange. Well I guess not THAT orange – I forgot that those cheese cracker / PB combo crackers are like neon orange.

cheezitcheddarsand-04

New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers individually are super light – those Lance crackers are a bit denser; you can tell these are lighter and flakier. They certainly smelled cheesy.

cheezitcheddarsand-05

Eating these cheese from inside of these New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers, there wasn’t anything mind blowing – it was the similar processed cheese that you’d find in any sandwich cracker, including Combos and Ritz cracker sandwiches.

The crackers by themselves reminded me of Cheez-Its but were a bit lighter and flakier than regular Cheez-Its. Similar cheesy taste, but not quite spot-on Cheez-It cracker.

cheezitcheddarsand-06

Eaten as a whole, these New Cheez-It Classic Cheddar Sandwich Crackers were just ok – just a solid sandwich cracker that was nothing out of expectation. Flavor wise it was cheesy – nothing that blew me away or anything. It’s not like I thought they “perfectly replicated” Cheez-It flavor or anything, and these weren’t anything especially sharp cheddar-y.

I love Cheez-Its, and these were just ok. Thats it :/

PURCHASED AT: Target, Wheaton, MD

COST: $2.99

Thoughts? Please comment below or hit me up on Twitter @junkfoodguy or LIKE my Facebook Page and message me there. I also have Google+!! Let’s hang out.

Sincerely,

The JFG

NoshLogo 2 - small

badge_subscribe-lrg

Discuss - 19 Comments

1. Dave says:

Tried those and the italian 4-cheese ones. The italian cheese had much more flavor than the originals.

2. Anne S says:

Cheez it could do like Tostitos and start making their own cracker dips.

3. Matt says:

Cheez-it cheez fries, like Andy Capp hot fries

4. Sunny Smith says:

Considering that peanut butter on a Cheez-It (especially a Groove) is a highly underrated delicacy, I’m surprised they didn’t attempt to inject that flavor combo into this line. Perhaps next time.

5. Jessica says:

Cheese-Its with fruit. I can’t believe I’m the only one who likes to eat fruit with cheese.

6. Alek says:

They could go with little sweet dessert route. Cinnamon would be ideal combo. What about “cheesecake” route? They could do a cream cheese flavored.

Maybe “mac and cheese” with fine pasta dust.

7. EP says:

I have the queso ones. Basically I’d give the exact same review as you, only difference is a very mild spiciness. Not bad but definitely not worth buying again when those Lance crackers are cheaper and basically the same quality.

8. Kara says:

I tried the four cheese ones and I thought they were actually really delicious! I agree that the crackers are very flaky and light.

9. Kimberly Gherlone says:

I was very interested in trying the new Cheez IT Classic Cheddar crackers. They are very disappointing. Were any taste tests done before you released these to the public? I doubt it as they have very little taste. Keebler Neon crackers with cheese are superior to the Cheez It product. Sorry I have so many packets of crackers left….

• Kendall Hammer says:

I completely agree. I got really excited when I saw these but they were not very good, certainly not as good as regular lance cracker sandwiches. I won’t be buying these again.

10. Shannon says:

Tried the spicy queso and they had a funky smell in the beginning and the taste no bueno, hoping the original cheese would be different my kids and I were completely dissapointed.

11. Gen says:

No. Just no. Never again would I buy these… I know we are discussing a snack cracker here but assuming that we are all Cheez it fans I feel I can say…I expected more from them in terms of flavor than a tasteless cheese whiz type of plastic-y filling. My cat loves cheese and wouldn’t even stick his tongue on it. Regarding the peanut butter… yes. I was praying I would see it online…to make me feel better…but in the end they are a cheese product and you know adding a nut is probably not in the marketing plan…stupidly. I sampled the Italian cheese, ate 3 and gave the rest of the package away. Not for me. If they can stay true to a cheez it original flavor I prob would eat ALMOST anything they make…well probably not cereal. But what about pizza or getting with another company and preparing a Cheez it crust for various toppings? I don’t know but anything would be better than these 🙁

12. Lisa Harbour says:

I was disappointed with the classic chedder. Too expensive and certainly no wow factor.

13. Cary Brown says:

When I first heard of these,I was hoping for cheez-it
    crackers as large as a slice of bread,sort of a make your own,d.I.y.sandwich!

14. Mal says:

I kept wanting them to be the Ritz cheese cracker sandwiches and so they were disappointing. Even if I didn’t want them to be something they weren’t, the taste is pretty underwhelming

15. Averie says:

Smell like feet, but they’re definitely amazing!