Review: New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas & “Hey, You Should Review These!”
Junk Food Nation, I love reviewing stuff. I love finding new items in the grocery store, I love peeling back that new packaging, I love eating. Eating a lot.
And I really appreciate it when people send me items they’ve seen nearby their homes that they think I should review. Thank you to everyone.
What I DON’T like is an occurrence that happens when I’m out with friends sometimes, and they’ll just point to random things and state, “Hey, you should review that!” Now look. I really don’t think I’m that pompous about this blog (it is, after all, A JUNK FOOD BLOG). And I’m pretty liberal about my definition of junk food; you guys know that. But the things that get suggested to me to review WILL NOT BE REVIEWED. Here’s some examples:
1. Friend points at a cool website on her computer, “You should review that!” Why not reviewed: NOT FOOD.
2. Friend points at the sandwich she is eating, “OMG this sandwich is so good, you should review it.” Why not reviewed: What, are you giving a bite? Don’t just tease me here with random exclamations, jerk.
3. Friend points at french fries: “Dude, you should review these.” Why not reviewed: “HEAR YE, HEAR YE! COME ONE, COME ALL, AND WELCOME TO THE MYSTICAL WORLD OF POTATO STICKS FROM FRANCE!!! A PECULIAR INVENTION THAT ONLY A WARPED MIND COULD HAVE CONJURED! LOOK AS THEY GLISTEN WITH GREASE! LOOK AS THEY TREMBLE WITH SALT! ” Yeah, no.
4. Friend, “Hey, have you seen these?? You should review these!” Friend is holding a bag of regular M&Ms. Why not reviewed: I dunno, M&Ms might be too controversial.
5. Friend, pointing at some wacky Japanese fast food that is clearly only being offered in Japan, “You should review THAT!” Why not reviewed: Because I ain’t Tokyo Drift-ing anytime soon.
Ok, this list is clearly snide, and I’m actually very appreciative that people want to help! So…keep the suggestions coming. I promise I’m always open to ideas….unless you’re sending me a picture of some M&Ms. Get that sh*t outta here.
Today’s junk food: New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas!
Nation, I recently reviewed the other three flavors of Pringles Tortillas – Original, Nacho Cheese, and Southwestern Ranch. These New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas are a Walmart exclusive flavor. However, I had not found them ANYWHERE. I was so bitter about it too – after the other flavors of Pringles Tortillas started popping up at Walgreens and my grocery stores, I was like, “WHERE THE HELL IS THE ZESTY SALSA FLAVOR??”
I walked up to the display at my local Walmart on New Year’s Day, and the Junk Food Gal and I searched through, finding nothing. Nada. Zippy. I was pissed. “SEE?” I exclaimed. “The stupid cardboard carton lists these New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas, but do they contain them? NO.”
Then we saw another display down the aisle, and I walked up to it murmuring, “And will these stacks have them? NO.” I began pawing through the display, moving cans around, bitterly stating, “See? No. No. No. Oh wait. WAIT. THEY HAVE THEM!! THEM HAVE THEM, BABY!” The Junk Food Gal rolled her eyes.
There they were, in the green cans. THE ZESTY SALSA FLAVOR.
I thought the Original Pringles Tortillas were pretty good, the Nacho Cheese variety tasted like old school Nacho Cheese Doritos, and the Southwestern Ranch variety tasted like a creamy taco/fajita-like flavor. I have to believe that these New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas taste more tangy, tomato-ey.
I opened the can of these New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas and immediately smelled tomato powder. Garlic. Jalapeno pepper. OOOOOOOOOOOO these were gonna be good. MUNCH TIME!
First taste of these New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas: They tasted like OLD SCHOOL SALSA RIO DORITOS. I reviewed the comeback of this flavor almost two years ago, and I remember them when I was a kid. And here they are…in Pringles form.
The tortilla chip was still thin, crispy, and full of corn flavor. Nice texture as well; I got the same sense that it was actually a tortilla chip rather than just a bunch of pressed corn. The flavor powder was really pretty awesome. VERY tomato powder-y, this chip had some GREAT tang. It was tangy, sour, and reminded me of, well, salsa. The onion and garlic powders helped round out the savoriness; both were nice and pronounced. There was a bit of jalapeno flavor, I got some peppery taste, and it provided a slight burn during the chew and in its aftertaste.
All in all, these New Zesty Salsa Pringles Tortillas rank with the Nacho Cheese Pringles Tortillas as a slam dunk. These are basically thin Doritos, executed really well, IMO. But these….if you can find them.
PURCHASED AT: Walmart
COST: $1.50 on sale
Junk Food Guy