CONTEST MONDAY! Win $50 of Sheila G’s Original Brownie Brittle & My Review of Sheila G’s Chocolate Chip, Traditional Walnut, & Toffee Crunch Brownie Brittle
Junk Food Nation, it’s time for another contest! The good people over at Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle not only sent me one of every flavor they sell to review, but also gave me a whopping $50 to spend on their online store as a giveaway. And give away, I shall. Who doesn’t want $50 worth of junk food??? I do. And you do too.
The rules to this contest are very simple:
1. If you haven’t joined the 21st Century, you need to join Twitter. This is a Twitter contest – join join join. I promise you’ll like it.
2. Once you’re on Twitter, look for my tweets about Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle! To best find these tweets, follow me on Twitter here – it’s not required, but it’ll make everything a whole lot easier when you’re looking for my Brownie Brittle tweets. In fact, the first of such tweets is HERE.
3. Then, Re-Tweet the Brownie Brittle Tweets I’ll post periodically through the next week. AND THAT’S IT. You’ll automatically be entered in a drawing for the $50 gift card to get lots of delicious Brownie Brittle.
Yep, $50 bucks of this stuff, right in your house. MMMMMMMM.
Here’s some more fine print:
4. Contest ends at midnight EST on Labor Day – Monday, September 3. Get all your Re-Tweets in before then!
5. US residents (including American Samoa and the Virgin Islands) are the only ones eligible to participate. I’M SORRY – Brownie Brittle only ships to the US, so I’m trying to save everyone the trouble. I know you Brits and Aussies wanna try this stuff too. I suggest starting a petition.
6. Friends can and SHOULD enter, since I’ve become friends with so many of you over Facebook, Twitter, comments, etc. Family cannot enter, but is encouraged to re-tweet anyways and have THEIR friends enter.
7. The more times you Re-Tweet, the more times you’ll be entered! Tweet away, Nation.
And that’s it 🙂 Any questions? Ask me in the comments below. Now that you’ve heard my pitch, let’s learn about the potential prizes!
I first tried Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle at the Summer Fancy Food Show, and thought it was a really cool snack. All-natural, certified kosher and peanut-free throughout its entire line, it’s dessert and health food and junk food, all in one! Sheila G. Mains created Brownie Brittle in 1992 stemming from her love of the crispy edges of the Brownie. She set off to make a product that was JUST those edges – and here we are. So let’s taste, shall we?
First up: Sheila G’s Chocolate Chip Brownie Brittle!
Sheila G’s Chocolate Chip Brownie Brittle starts out with a crunch. This brittle is not like Peanut Brittle – it isn’t candied. Instead, it’s a thin flaky cracker-like chip…it’s very light and flaky and crunches like a thin cookie. It’s a really cool consistency, to be honest – I ate a ton of pieces and never once felt heavy. And that’s part of Sheila G’s pitch – in a lot of ways this can be viewed as a great dessert alternative. Low cal, full of flavor, and doesn’t weigh you down.
Flavor wise? The Chocolate Chip variety was great – as I crunched thru the first for bites, the very familiar brownie flavor emerged. It had that rich oven-baked slightly-burnt-cocoa brownie flavor – only instead in a soft brownie, in a crunchy cookie. It took me a while to wrap my head around that, but I liked it. And each time my teeth hit another chocolate chip, the chocolate flavor only increased.
All in all, a quality item – very simple flavor profile in a unique crunchy vessel. Thumbs up.
Next: Sheila G’s Traditional Walnut Brownie Brittle!
Unlike the previous flavor, the first taste I got when I chewed the crunchy Sheila G’s Traditional Walnut Brownie Brittle was definitely WALNUT. That nutty flavor was large and in charge – and very fresh tasting. For people who like that sort of non-sweet and round flavor that walnuts have, you’ll love this.
The walnut flavor lasted for much of the chew, only toward the end did I get the brownie flavor. This was definitely a lighter flavor of brownie than the chocolate chip brownie Brittle, but again the flavor profile was spot on. A little less chocolatey, but a little more dimension in flavor. I’m personally not a huge walnut fan, but I can tell you that this tasted JUST like a brownie with walnuts on it.
And finally: Sheila G’s Toffee Crunch Brownie Brittle!
Unlike the previous two flavors, Sheila G’s Toffee Crunch Brownie Brittle DID taste a little candied in texture. Because the toffee, as you can see, was sort of melted INTO the surface of the brownie itself, it made each bite and crunch a little stickier. What I mean is, the candied toffee stuck to my teeth a bit during chewing. The candied surface made this Brownie Brittle a little more crunchy.
Flavor-wise, this brittle had more of a caramel taste to it. I didn’t get cocoa flavor right away; instead, the caramel-toffee flavor took center stage. It wasn’t overly sweet but it definitely had that burnt sugar flavor. For me, the caramel sweetness definitely interfered with the brownie and cocoa tastes. This was the only flavor of the three which I didn’t get a huge brownie taste from. Odd. Definitely tasty, but this could’ve been labeled a toffee cookie and I wouldn’t have even known that brownies were the goal.
My final ranking:
A. Chocolate Chip Brownie Brittle – delivered on the look from the bag, and had best brownie flavor.
B. Traditional Walnut Brownie Brittle – I’m not a fan of nuts in brownies, but these tasted spot on.
C. Toffee Crunch Brownie Brittle – a little too candied for my taste, but most will love it.
COST: ~$5 a bag
So there you have it. And this Brownie Brittle could be yours by following three simple rules to the contest:
1. Join Twitter.
2. Look for my tweets about Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle.
3. Re-Tweet Re-Tweet Re-Tweet Re-Tweet Re-Tweet.
Let me tell you, $50 worth of Brownie Brittle buys a LOT OF BROWNIE BRITTLE. You want this.
Junk Food Guy